Home

2014 Fringe Festival: "Can't Miss" Comes to Rochester

The 2014 First Niagara Rochester Fringe Festival just finished, and I am beyond thrilled, enamored, exhausted, jovial, and pleading for more. I cannot wait until next year. The Fringe Festival is unlike anything I've ever experienced before; thank you, Rochester, for infusing "can't miss" into every moment of your artsy, edgy (and wonderful) madness.

If you're an arts person, an event person, a little bit of everything person, or really, just a person, you will lovethe Fringe Festival. If you...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Rochester: The Ideal Home-Base for an Epic Road Trip Summer

Rochester makes a convenient home base for the adventure-ready road-trip warrior. Since I’m from the West Coast originally (never being east of Montana!), this whole side of the country is new to me. My challenge this summer was simple: explore, explore, explore. 

Here’s a list (with a few pictures) of all the fun weekend road trips that are possible from Rochester:

• NYC: 5- to 6-hour drive
    A fun drive that takes you through three states. And then, there is it: the BIG Apple. And, wow, it is big....
Read More »
0 Comments »

Rochester: The Perfect Host for a Great Summer

Last fall, I transferred into the University of Rochester from the West Coast, moving to Rochester at the tail end of summer. Now in the midst of my first full summer season, I've discovered Rochester to be a magical place this time of year. The weather is warm. The festivals are in session, and my classes are not (though summer session is an option!).

Opportunities abound for the local Rochestarian, and I've been making the most of them: exploring new areas, shops, and eateries—meeting new...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Summer Internships in Rochester and Beyond

The college student must always be looking ahead, and summer is fast approaching. Wherever you spend your summer, it is wise to be proactive and find an internship. Internships transfer classroom experience and knowledge into the "real" world (though sometimes I doubt there is such a thing; thanks, philosophy). In addition to a fun and engaging summer experience, internships are a great résumé booster that can help open doors beyond college.

During the last few weeks, I've been researching...

Read More »
0 Comments »

How a Business Major Found Himself in Theatre

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of seeing my own one-act play performed at the University of Rochester's International Theatre Department in Todd Union. My play was formally chosen back in January for the 16th Annual Rochester One-Act Festival. Ever since, I had been waiting on pins and needles to see it. Good news: the theater team was incredible! Seeing my characters come to life was one of the most exciting things I've ever experienced as a writer. 

When the festivities ended, I walked away...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Settling In, Moving Forward

The snow is falling, the on-campus Starbucks is filling, and our underground tunnels are warm and full of friendly faces. It must be early spring semester at Rochester. 

While running warp, full-thruster speed into my second semester here at the University of Rochester, I’m never too busy to stop in, take a quick break, and say hello. Things are going excellent. I’m settling in. The campus has become familiar and the tunnels keep me out of the wind and dry. 

As a quick update, my self-designed...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Kevin's Semester Snapshot

As of 6 p.m. today, I will have completed my first semester at the University of Rochester. Wow! Has it been that long? Just yesterday I matriculated, arriving on campus in awe, a new transfer student, timid yet excited—Instagramming the beautiful campus every other minute. Only, it wasn't yesterday; it was August! Time flies, I suppose. We entrench ourselves in books and caffeine, and before we know it, we're playing in snow and wondering where the time went. 

So, Fall '13 is done. Christmas is...

Read More »
0 Comments »

How I Created My Own Degree

Open curriculum sounds almost too good to be true. I remember thinking, “No way. Open curriculum? That can’t be right.” But it is! Some courses require prerequisites, but you are otherwise allowed free reign to pick and choose whatever courses fulfill your educational goals.  

In addition, the University of Rochester invites its students to create their own programs or degrees through interdepartmental studies if necessary. A few caveats exist, of course, but not many.

I built my own degree from...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Who am I?

Hello! Very nice to meet you. My name is Kevin; I’m a transfer junior here at Rochester studying entrepreneurship and creative writing. It’s my first semester and so far, so good. I guess can do a little better than that. UR has been amazing! I’m absolutely thrilled to be here. Every day, it seems, is a journey towards finding something greater within myself and others.

Technically, my educational trajectory is considered non-traditional. I’m 26, and thus older than the average junior student....

Read More »
0 Comments »