Home

About Me: Who I Am and Why I'm Here

Hello everyone!

My name is Jamie Rudd and I’m thrilled to be a member of the University of Rochester Class of 2017. As a student blogger I have the exciting opportunity to share my college experience (and tips) with all of you. But before we embark on the adventure the next four years are bound to be, here’s a little about me:

I hail from a rural farming community in Central Oregon (Madras anyone?) located next to the Warm Springs Indian Reservation and surrounded by all the greatness of northwestern nature. But with easterners as parents, I grew up no stranger to the charms of the east coast. So when it came time for the college search I immediately identified the northeast as a “preferable region.”

I first learned about the University of Rochester my sophomore year of high school. It seemed perfect, the location, the medium size, the flexible open curriculum, but it was hard for me to believe that I’d found such a perfect match so early on. As I started investigating other “options,” however, the true superiority of the U of R became more and more apparent. As my knowledge of the U of R grew, the better it seemed: the diverse student body, the wide range of programs, the encouragement to combine multiple interests.... By the time I visited the beautiful campus and interacted with the friendly and accommodating community here, I knew I had found the place where I belonged.  

One of the things I love most about my school is the flexibility I have to explore everything I love, whether it be through study or extracurricular activity. My greatest passions are traveling, writing, reading, and music, but my list of interests is long and diverse. My high school years were packed with activities and I was highly involved in everything from student council and yearbook to drama club and swim team. Since coming to the U of R, I’ve been able to get involved with completely new programs like the Undergraduate Anthropology Council and Campus Times newspaper while still continuing with several of my old activities through the International Theatre Program and Hall Council.

As a freshman, I’m still slightly undecided in my major(s) but am most interested in English communications, anthropology, and international relations. Lucky for me, the U of R’s open curriculum (only one required class!) gives me the freedom to look into all of these programs, take my time in deciding, and still easily double major.

I couldn’t be happier with my college decision and I hope this blog will give a little insight into why. As you’ve probably already gathered, I love talking about the U of R so feel free to email me at jrudd@u.rochester.edu with any questions.

So enjoy the posts, learn about the college, spread the word, and find out where life at the University of Rochester can take you.

Getting the Most Out of a Hometown Summer

When I made my decision to attend Rochester, my parents’ approval came with one condition—my first summer would be spent at home. This was hardly a sacrifice considering I was only able to make the 2,500-mile trip home once during the school year. By the time May rolled around, I was more than happy to be headed back to Oregon.

But no matter how willing I was to go home, the fact that I’m from a rural town of 6,000 has certainly impacted the way I’ve spent my summer. No internships at prestigious...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Six Things I Didn’t Know I Couldn’t Live Without

So maybe “couldn't live without” is a bit of an exaggeration. However, having theses things certainly made my first year of college much more comfortable and easy than it would have been without them. Obviously, this is not a complete list of what you need for college, but these are things that many students might overlook. In my case, they've proven just as useful as the obvious stuff.

For the dorm:

Electric Fan

Rochester is known for its cold weather, but the River Campus is definitely visited by...

Read More »
2 Comments »

Rochester Withdrawals: Making the Transition Back Home

Summer has barely begun and I’m already missing Rochester. I miss my friends, I miss my campus, I miss my classes, and I miss my independence. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been wonderful to be back home—getting to spend time with my family and friends, eating home-cooked food, and enjoying the beautiful landscape of rural Central Oregon. Nevertheless, I’ve got more free time than I know what to do with and my mind keeps drifting back to Rochester, to all the wonderful experiences I had freshman year...

Read More »
0 Comments »

How I Discovered My Passion for Anthropology

A year ago, if someone had asked me to define ‘anthropology’ I would have struggled to come up with a confident answer. Truthfully, I really had no idea what anthropology was until last summer when I began investigating every unexplored field of study offered at my university-to-be.

I’d put international relations on the “intended major” line of countless applications senior year, but I wasn’t 100% sure it was what I wanted to study. I love learning about culture, I want to help solve social...

Read More »
0 Comments »

The Campus Visit: A Trip Worth Taking

When it comes to the college search, anyone will tell you that visiting potential schools is a good idea. Campus visits not only give you the chance to see the school in person, but they allow you to get a feel for the student community. Prospective students who participate in overnight visits get the added bonus of experiencing dorm life, sitting in classes, and tasting dining hall cuisine.

During my junior and senior year of high school, I visited a variety of universities in my quest to find...

Read More »
1 Comments »

The Art of Living in a Triple

When it comes to the college transition, there’s a lot to adjust to—a new schedule, new food, and new freedom. But among the many things that freshmen have to get used to is the unfamiliar territory of dorm life. Communal bathrooms, rowdy hall-mates, and washing machines that charge you flex all must be adapted to, but nothing is ever quite so challenging as sharing your room with someone else (or in my case, two someones).

While the majority of freshmen find themselves in the traditional...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Sue B. vs. The Quad: Why it’s Worth Burying the Hatchet

Among the many idiosyncrasies that characterize student life at Rochester is the infamous feud between freshman housing locations. Susan B. Anthony Residence Hall (known to most as “Sue B.”) vs. the Residential Quad (typically shortened to “The Quad”). Both Sue B. and The Quad have a unique list of pros and cons that make it difficult, at least from an objective standpoint, to really deem one as “better” than the other. Even so, the vast majority of Rochester students adopt fierce loyalties to...

Read More »
0 Comments »

The Wonderful World of Todd Theatre: My Experience with UR’s International Theatre Program

I have always been a lover of theatre, whether I’m behind the curtain or in front of it. In high school, I was president of the drama club and have acted in a variety of shows over the years. But by the time I moved onto campus in the fall, I couldn’t wait to get involved in what I hoped would be a slightly more professional theatre program. But not wanting to take on too much with an acting role my first semester, I decided to try something new. Opting out of auditioning for one of the upcoming...

Read More »
0 Comments »

My Thanksgiving in Rochester, Making the Best of Staying on Campus

After the marathon of exams and studying that is November, University of Rochester students are rewarded for their efforts with a few days off for the greatly anticipated Thanksgiving Break. While the majority of students head home to their families for the five-day vacation, several hundred individuals spend their Thanksgivings on campus. As a freshman from Oregon I knew when I decided on Rochester that I would be among this number due to the impracticality of traveling several thousand miles...

Read More »
1 Comments »

Finding Your Study Sanctuary

While the U of R student body is an extremely diverse group of individuals who participate in a wide range of unique activities, we all share in the glorious practice of studying.

Studying is one of the main staples of college life no matter where you go. With a limited amount of time in the classroom, professors everywhere expect their students to stay on top of a substantial amount of out-of-class work. While college classes definitely require more studying than high school, they can be handled...

Read More »
0 Comments »