Home

Me in a Nutshell

Hi everyone!

I'm Florence, hailing from the hustling and bustling city of Hong Kong. I am a proud member of the Class of '17, and an aspiring mechanical engineering major. Here are a few interesting (or not) facts about me:

1. Music is a huge part of my life. I played the clarinet in the symphony orchestra and band in high school, and I also sang in the choir. I love both classical and pop music, and listening to them help me lots in concentrating while studying/doing homework.

2. I used to hate chocolate before coming here, but somehow I fell in love with the chocolate chip cookies in the dining halls (only the cookies). Now I have to go to the gym regularly to fight off "the freshman 15."

3. I love photography, but I do not upload photos of food onto social networking websites. I used to carry my DSLR camera everywhere I go (didn't bring it here though—I didn't have sufficient luggage space D: ) Looking at the happy/awkward/silly faces in pictures never ceases to make me smile.

4. Bugs and spiders are my natural enemies, and I am so, so glad that there aren't many of them here in Rochester!

One of the questions I always received in my forty-something days stay in Rochester is "Why did you choose the University of Rochester?" Why would someone leave behind the warm and sunny weather in Hong Kong and fly thousand miles across the Atlantic for the snowy chilly days in Rochester? In fact, this is my first time in the US, and I am really excited to embrace a completely new culture and lifestyle. I have always wanted to study in the States for the liberal arts education, and I like the open and flexible curriculum, the cultural diversity, the abundance of research opportunities and the close-knit community here in Rochester. The campus is also beyond gorgeous. My days in Rochester have been amazing so far—I made some good friends, and the professors are all nice and helpful. In school, I am currently involved in the Mini Baja, Habitat for Humanity as well as the Chinese Christian Fellowship—I'm having loads of fun!

That's all for now; can't wait to share with you all the things I encounter on my journey as I stumble and roll through the wonderful world of the U of R (just as I can't wait to experience the snow here, hehee!) 

:D

16 Hours in New York City

Spring Senior Show
Last weekend has been the busiest yet eventful one I have had in a while. On Friday night, I attended the
YellowJackets' Spring Senior Show. The concert was fabulousthis a cappella group never ceases to amaze me with their singing skills and their unique arrangement of songs. The show also featured University of Rochester's Ballet Performance Group and RIT's a cappella group Eight Beat Measure, whose performances were equally superb. After the concert ended, I rushed to the bus...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Going Off Campus Without a Car

One problem that many freshmen face is that since most of us do not have cars on campus, it is quite difficult to travel off campus. The school runs a great free student shuttle service that brings you to Downtown Rochester and places like Target, Walmart, Marketplace Mall, and Pittsford Plaza, but sometimes you may want to go somewhere else. One option would be finding a friend who owns a car to drive you around, but you can also go off campus on foot. Spring break was just here, and with...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Beating the Dreaded Freshman 15

My greatest fear of becoming a college student is gaining the Freshman 15. How terrible would it be, to not be able to fit into my old jeans and have to buy new ones, or to be told by my old friends that “your face is more chubby now (not in a cute way though).” So, it is extremely important to identify the culprits behind the Freshman 15 and to avoid them.

First and foremost, the all-you-can-eat dining halls are the source of all (evil) calories. Although the two dining halls do serve really...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Happy Year of the Horse!

It was the Chinese New Year a few weeks ago, and it was my first time not spending this important and joyous occasion with my family. Chinese New Year, very much self-explanatory, celebrates the arrival of a new year on the Chinese calendar. Before Chinese New Year, it is a traditional practice to clean and tidy one's house thoroughly to "get rid of any ill-fortune"; and during Chinese New Year, people like to burn fire crackers, wear brand new clothes and watch lion dances. On the first day of...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Embracing the Cold

Rochester is well-known for its cold weather. If you don't believe me, check these two lists out: The 10 Snowiest Colleges in the US and America's 20 Coldest Cities. Hopefully they'll give you a (brief) idea of how cold it gets here in winter. I'm from Hong Kong, which has a subtropical climate (i.e., we do have winter, but the coldest we get is only around 48° F), so this whole "cold" thing is new to me. Here are some ways my habits have changed to cope with the cold weather:

1. Stay indoors as...

Read More »
0 Comments »

College: United States vs. Hong Kong

Happy belated New Year! I hope everyone had a nice winter break—I had loads of fun in warm, snowless California. Over the break, as I reunited with old friends, one of the topics that came up a lot in our conversations was how different US colleges are compared to the ones back home in Hong Kong. Here are the two major points we talked about:

1. Declaring a major
In Hong Kong, students have to declare a major before entering university. Basically, students apply to the specific programs offered...

Read More »
1 Comments »

Audio & Music Engineering at Rochester!

Okay, so here is the thing: Although I am a mechanical engineering major, I am not taking any MechE classes (yet). Instead, I am taking an introductory Audio and Music Engineering course. Audio and music engineering is a new major offered by the Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Its curriculum includes elements of music and acoustics, as well as some engineering sciences and signal processing, preparing the students for the field of audio and sonic engineering. The class I am...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Thanksgiving 101

Something big happened last week. And that "something" is my first Thanksgiving.

I originally did not have any plans for my Thanksgiving break: slacking off, eating and sleeping all day were all I planned to do. But everything changed when my super awesome roomie invited me to stay over at her place over Thanksgiving. (Yes, I have the best roomie. Envy me!) So last Tuesday evening, I traveled to Cleveland, Ohio with my roomie and had my first ever Thanksgiving experience. Here are some highlights...

Read More »
0 Comments »

Ronald McDonald House Service

Since I was young, I have been taught the importance of being thankful, and of giving a helping hand to those who are less fortunate and those in need. So a week ago on a chilly Saturday morning, I rolled out of bed at 7 a.m. (even earlier than I usually do on weekdays!) and went to Ronald McDonald House with UR Habitat and served breakfast there.

Ronald McDonald House, located on Westmoreland Drive (i.e., a five-minute driving distance from River Campus), provides a warm and comfortable "home...

Read More »
0 Comments »

My Quest for the "101 Things to Do Before You Graduate"

Back in September at Seventeen Again (a celebration of our 17th day of class held by the Orientation staff, where we got free root beer floats and collectible orientation cups. And if you could do the cup song, the free T-shirt is yours to take as well), we each got a poster of "101 Things to Do Before You Graduate." I have had it posted up on the wardrobe in my room, and now that I have been here at Rochester for more than two months already, I figured out that it is a good time to see how many...

Read More »
0 Comments »